5/1/12

Fiesta Lime Chicken: Applebee's Copycat Recipe

I have been eyeing this recipe for awhile, but never made. Why??? I have no idea!
I decided to make this last Sunday. It was amazing! 
Later that night I asked my hubby what he wanted for dinner during the week and his answer was..
"You could make that chicken again." WHAT!?!?
So that should tell you how much we enjoyed this recipe.


Another great thing about this recipe, it's so easy to put together.
So, have I sold you on trying this recipe? OK, good.

For our chicken I made an Avocado Pico de Gallo. Just chop up some tomatoes (I did 3 Roma), an onion, a large avocado, a little bit of Jalapeno, cilantro and toss it in a bowl. Then add some lime juice and give it another stir. Sometimes I add a little salt and some chicken bouillon.
That's it.

Now for the chicken. First you need to make the marinade. For ours I did a little shortcut that turned out great. I had a packet of Lawry's Mexican Chicken marinade and decided to use that. On the back it had an option for Mexican Lime Chicken, so I followed those directions.
I just mixed up my marinade in a large Ziploc bag then added the chicken.
Then I looked at the original marinade recipe and decided to add the liquid smoke, ginger, and Teriyaki Sauce to my marinade.
I let my chicken sit for about 4 hours. Then we grilled them.

When the chicken is done you top them with a yummy topping and then sprinkle cheese on top and let it melt.

We are having this again on Saturday, and I think I'm going to try the original marinade and see  how that tastes. I'll let you know. Until then, give it a try and see what you think.


Applebee's Fiesta Lime Chicken {copycat}


Marinade:
C. water
1 C. water
1/3 C.
teriyaki sauce
1/2 C. lime juice
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp. tequila (substitute cactus juice OR just leave this out like I did!)
1 tsp. liquid smoke
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. ground ginger
Dressing:
1/4 C. mayo
1/4 C. sour cream
2 Tbsp. chunky salsa
1 Tbsp. milk
1 tsp.
cajun blackening spice (I couldn't find this anywhere but HERE is a recipe to make your own. Or you could try something else. I used a montreal steak seasoning because it was all I had on hand.)
1/4 tsp. parsley flakes
1/4 tsp. Tabasco
1/8 tsp. dried dill weed (or a little less, just do it to your own taste)
1/8 tsp. ground cumin
Shredded colby jack cheese
Crushed tortilla chips

Make marinade and marinate chicken for at least 2 hours. Meanwhile prepare dressing by whisking together all ingredients. Refrigerate until ready to use.

Grill or broil chicken breasts until done. Cover completely with dressing and top with cheese. Cook one more minute until cheese is melted. Serve over crumbled tortilla chips.


**I'm thinking that maybe next time I'll try the crumbled tortilla chips on top of the chicken with my Pico on top of that.

Enjoy!!

1 comment: