7/4/11

Strawberry Ice Cream

For my second ice cream recipe I decided to share a recipe for Strawberry Ice Cream.
One of my favorite ice cream flavors is chocolate, but I do also love fruit ice cream...including Strawberry.

This ice cream was delicious. The only thing I didn't like was that it wasn't quite creamy enough for me, but that might have been my mistake. I'm thinking I might have not let the custard cook long enough. But don't let that scare you away...this was still delicous (I kept sneaking spoonfuls of ice cream as I was scooping it out of my machine). So give it a try and see what you think.
Enjoy!!

Strawberry Ice Cream
From 'The Ultimate Ice Cream Book'

3 heaping cups of strawberries
1/4 tsp. salt
1/3 C. Sugar
2 large eggs
1 1/2 C. half-and-half
1/2 C. Heavy Cream
1 tsp. Vanilla extract

Puree the strawberries with the salt in a food processor or food mill. There should be about 2 cups of puree. Set aside

In a medium mixing bowl, beat the sugar into the eggs until thickened and pale yellow. Set aside.

Bring the half-and-half to a simmer in a heavy medium saucepan. Slowly beat the hot half-and-half into the eggs and sugar. Pour the entire mixture back into the pan and place over low heat. Stir constantly with a whisk or wooden spoon until the custard thickens slightly. Be careful not to let the mixture boil or the eggs will scamble. Remove from heat and pour the hot custard through a strainer into a large, clean bowl. Allow the custard to cool slightly, then stir in the strawberry puree, cream and vanilla. Cover and refrigerate until cold or overnight.

Stir the chilled custard, then freeze in 1 or 2 batches in your ice cream machine according to the manufacturer's instructions. When finished, the ice cream will be soft but ready to eat. For firmer ice cream, transfer to a freezer-safe container and freeze at least 2 hours.

Enjoy!!

2 comments:

  1. This looks so yummy Sheena! I have been wanting to make my own ice cream for a long time now! Unfortunately I don't own an ice cream maker :P I want to get the attachment to my Kitchen Aid. Do you have it or what do you recommend?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Jessica,
    I do have the Kitchen-aid Ice Cream attachment & I love it! Josh bought it for me a few years ago. The attachment runs about $80 which is pretty pricey.
    I also have used a Krups Ice Cream maker (Kathy's) and it works great.
    I have also heard the Cuisinart work really well plus they are about half the price as the Kitchen-aid attachment (Amazon.com- $45). I actually wanted the Cuisinart if I didn't get the Kitchen-aid. It is rated #1 on a few websites, so if you don't want to spend $80 I would definitely go with the Cuisinart. Hope that helps :).

    ReplyDelete