7/8/11

Friday Food Finds: Trifles & Patriotic Trifle recipe

Have you ever read the definition of 'trifle'?
Trifle: something trivial or insignificant

Trifles are anything but trifle, don't you think? I mean look at it...it's layers and layers of cake, fruit, pudding, whip cream. How in the world is that insignificant? Yes, I know that this definition is not talking about the dessert 'trifle', but c'mon let's give this dessert a little nicer more enjoyable name. So for today's Friday Food Finds we are spotlighting this yummy dessert to show all those poor trifles that they are in no way trivial or insignificant. :)
I have always wanted to make a trifle, but never had the dish to do it. So I finally bought a dish (which was only $6.97 at Wal-Mart) and made the Patriotic Trifle that I shared last week. Overall review: it was AWESOME!! There was not a single bite left.

So ever since then I have been thinking of different trifles that I can try. Here are a few that I found:

I'm going to visit my Sister next week and now I am taking my trifle dish so we can make this, yum.
You could also use brownies instead of chocolate cake and oreos instead of toffee. And if you don't want to make home-made whip cream, just use a package of Cool-whip.

I think my Husband would love this one, He is a raspberry lover. A few changes I'd probably make are: I would use pound cake instead of lady fingers and if I'm in a hurry I might not dip the pound cake into the syrup mixture. But it sounds amazing, so I'm gonna have to give this a try soon.

I love Strawberry and Banana. What a perfect combination, so of course when I saw this I knew I had to add it to my list. Plus her post is funny...maybe because I know exactly how she feels. haha.

Patriotic Trifle
So there are 3 trifle recipes to try. Now here is the recipe for the Patriotic Trifle. It was delicious...I promise. I was a little scared by the combo of Jell-O and pudding. I was kind of grossed out, but when I tasted it there was no weird texture or weird taste. Trust me when I say "You've gotta try this!"
I've also added a link at the bottom for a printable version of the recipe. Enjoy!!

Patriotic Trifle

1 package (3 ounces) berry blue gelatin
1 package (3 ounces) strawberry gelatin
2 cups boiling water
1 cup cold water
2 cups cold whole milk
2 packages (3.4 ounces each) instant vanilla pudding mix
1 carton (8 ounces) frozen whipped topping, thawed, divided
1 pint fresh blueberries
1 quart fresh strawberries, quartered
1 prepared angel food cake (8 to 10 ounces), cut into 1-inch cubes

In two small bowls, combine each gelatin flavor with 1 cup boiling water. Stir 1/2 cup cold water into each. Pour each into an ungreased 9-in. square pan. Refrigerate for 1 hour or until set.

In a large bowl, whisk milk and pudding mixes for 2 minutes. Let stand for 2 minutes or until soft-set. Fold in 2 cups whipped topping.

Set aside 1/4 cup blueberries and 1/2 cup strawberries for garnish. Cut the gelatin into 1-in. cubes. In a 3-qt. trifle bowl or serving dish, layer the strawberry gelatin, half of the cake cubes, the remaining blueberries and half of the pudding mixture.

Top with blue gelatin and remaining cake cubes, strawberries and pudding mixture. Garnish with reserved berries and remaining whipped topping. Serve immediately.
Yield: 16-20 servings.


1 comment:

  1. That is so pretty, looks amazing, I linked this to my blog.. http://raising-pink-pumpkins.blogspot.com/2012/05/fruit-goodness.html..

    ReplyDelete