3/9/11

English Muffins

It has been a while, a long while, since I have posted any new recipes. We sold our home last fall and spent much of November and December moving out of our home...into a relatives home..and then finally into our new, old home. Our new home is an older home that needs updating so I have spent the last 2 months updating the paint, doors, trim, window covering, lighting, etc. As you can see, I have a really good excuse as to why I havent posted anything. Things are slowing down a bit so hopefully I can start posting again.

While my husband and most of our children love cold cereal, our oldest does not. He likes breakfast sandwiches, breads with jam or pancakes or waffles for breakfast. Last summer when we visited Sheena she made egg & Canadian bacon sandwiches on English muffins. We really liked them but I havent made them too often because 1) I am really not a fan of store bought breads (homemade breads are so much tastier and have a better texture) and 2) English muffins can be kind of expensive (1 package doesn't go very far when you are feeding 6 hungry people). Tyler's new school starts at 7:30am!! I do not like getting up at 6 am to make breakfast so I had to find things that he could warm up and eat quickly. We make other breakfast sandwiches on biscuits but the Canadian bacon sandwiches on English muffins were a little different.


I found the following recipe at shesimmers.com. I believe the recipe originally came from Alton Brown. Shesimmers explains that she has looked for years for a good english muffin recipe that has lots of nooks and crannies. She said that most recipes she came across required the baker to roll our the dough and then cut out the muffins with a biscuit cutter. She said those recipes never had enough nooks and crannies. When she came across this recipe she knew it would turn out better. I also found lots of recipes in cookbooks and online and most, if not all, required you to roll out the dough. I have made this recipe several times and we really like it. I like the muffins better after they have cooled so I usually make it the night before and then we eat them for breakfast or make pizzas out of them for lunch.



English Muffins

½ cup non-fat powdered milk
1 tbsp sugar
1 tsp salt
1 tbsp shortening
1 cup hot water
1 envelope dry yeast (2 ¼ tsp)
1/8 tsp sugar
1/3 warm water
2 cups flour, sifted
Metal muffin rings

In a bowl combine the powdered milk, 1 tbsp sugar, ½ tsp salt, 1 tbsp shortening, and hot water. Stir until sugar and salt are dissolved. Let cool.

In a separate bowl, combine the yeast and the 1/8 tsp of sugar in 1/3 cup warm water. Let rest until the yeast is dissolved.

Add the yeast mixture to the milk mixture. Add the sifted flour and beat thoroughly with a wooden spoon. Cover the bowl and let rest in a warm spot for 30 minutes.

Preheat griddle to 300 degrees.

Add the remaining ½ tsp salt to mixture and beat thoroughly.

Place the metal rings onto the griddle and coat lightly with cooking spray. Use an ice cream scoop to place the dough into the rings. Cover with a pot lid or a cookie sheet and cook for 5-6 minutes.

Remove the lid and flip the rings using tongs. Cover with the lid and cook for another 5-6 minutes or until golden brown.

Place on a cooling rack, remove the rings and cool.

[The original recipe says to use a #20 ice cream scoop and put 2 scoops into each ring. I have a pampered chef dough scoop –it is the medium scoop- and I put about 1 ½ scoops into the rings. The first time you make it I would just experiment to see how much dough you should put in.]


[For the metal rings, the original recipe says you could use tuna cans with the tops and bottoms removed. I tried to find tuna cans that would work but I cant find any that have a bottom that can be removed so I have been using small pineapple cans with the tops and bottoms removed. They are a bit taller than needed but when I flip the muffins I just push the muffins to the bottom so they touch the griddle.]

1 comment:

  1. These look great! I love english muffins, but also hate paying the price for them at the store. I am going to give this recipe a try, thanks!

    ReplyDelete