2/5/11

Navajo Tacos

I think I've had this recipe in my 'To Try' file forever, so I finally decided to try it.
The Verdict: They were really good!

I don't know what is going on, but every day right before dinner is done I realize I am starving. So when we sit down to eat I am seriously trying not to stuff my face. haha I'm blaming it on being pregnant! But that is what happened with this meal. I ate this thing so fast, I probably didn't get a real chance to taste it. But it was really good, the bits I did in fact taste.


I found the recipe for this on Gather Round our Table. She uses Rhodes Roll dough to make her scones. That is what I decided to use this time, but next time I will probably try my friend's scone dough recipe: Jessica's recipe from her blog, A Country Girls Livin'.
(You should check out her blog, she has lots of yummy stuff!)

I loved this meal because it's almost as easy as regular tacos, but with a little twist.
Plus, if you have extra scones left over you can have those as dessert with Honey Butter or Cinnamon Honey Butter, mmmm...

So if you're looking for a quick and yummy dinner idea, then give Navajo tacos a try.
I've included the recipe from Gather Round our Table, below, but you can make these however you want. You could even try these using Chicken instead of beef. Try these with the Fiesta Chicken taco meat, mmmm.

Enjoy!!

Navajo Tacos

Meat Sauce:1-2 lbs. hamburger
Salt & Pepper
1-2 cans Chili Beans
1 pkg. Taco Seasoning (I like Ortega)

Brown hamburger and season with salt and pepper. Drain grease and add taco seasoning packet and water suggested on the back. Cook 10-15 minutes. Add chili beans (drain first) and stir well. Basically, when I make a small batch I use 1 lb. meat and one can of beans. When I make it for a crowd I add 2 lbs. meat and 2 cans beans. You can also use kidney beans (but I like the creamier chili bean better).
Scones:
Rhodes or Terrell's frozen roll dough
Oil for frying

2-3 hours before dinner, place desired amount of dough on a greased cookie sheet and cover with plastic wrap that has been sprayed with cooking spray. Once dough is totally thawed, press each roll out into the shape of a small scone and allow to rest on cookie sheet and rise some more (30 minutes to an hour). Heat oil to about 350 degrees in either a deep frying pan, dutch oven, or electric fry daddy. Fry the scones until they are golden brown on both sides. Remove from grease and place on paper towels.
Toppings:
shredded cheddar cheese
shredded lettuce
chopped green onion
chopped tomato
chopped olives
Sour Cream
Salsa 
Guacamole

1 comment:

  1. Navajo tacos is actually one of our family favorites. But we use Nalley chili and Brian makes homemade scones. Yumm

    ReplyDelete