2/2/11

Fiesta Chicken Tacos with Homemade Refried Beans & Spanish Rice

I love tacos because they are so easy! But having the same ground beef tacos with the little 'Taco' packet can get a little old.
While searching for new meal ideas I came across this yummy recipe for Fiesta Chicken Tacos on Gather Round our Table (a great little food blog). I wrote it on my menu right away and wrote down the ingredients I needed. Another plus for this recipe is that it's a Crockpot recipe. There is nothing better than throwing stuff in a crockpot and a few hours later dinner is done.

Doesn't that look yummy? You can't see the chicken too much, but believe me....it was good.


Then I happened to find another new food blog, Food Brings Families Together, and found the recipe for Homemade Refried Beans and Spanish Rice.
You may have a recipe for Spanish Rice and like your canned Refried Beans, but believe me these were GOOD. Plus they are authentic 'From Mexico' recipes. You can't get better than that. The refried beans weren't hard to make, they too are made in the crockpot.

 yah....you can't take a very pretty or appetizing picture of refried beans. It's just a big brown bowl of mush. But they were very yummy.


And here's the rice.

When I made this we had my Hubby's parents and my Sister and her kids over for dinner. Everyone raved about dinner. Josh (hubby) LOVED the tacos. This is definitely going to be a regular meal at our home.




Fiesta Chicken Tacos
4-5 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (or 12-15 chicken tenders)
1 can cream of chicken soup
1-2 cups salsa
1 pkg. Taco Seasoning Mix
Fixings for tacos (shells, lettuce, tomato, cheese, cilantro, guacamole, etc.)

Place chicken breasts in crock pot. Pour chicken soup on top, then salsa on top of that, then sprinkle taco seasoning all over the top of that. Cook on high for 3-4 hours, or on low for 8-10 hours. Shred the meat and serve with taco fixings.
**I usually put my chicken in the crock pot when it is still frozen and it turns out great!


Refried Beans

2-3 cups dried pinto beans, rinsed

6-8 cups water
2 tsp. salt: you may need to add more later
1 tomato diced
2 jalapeno's diced
1 onion, diced
1 T. minced garlic

Place all in a crock pot and cook on high for 4-6 hours or until the beans are soft. (I know this is a broad time to give you but my beans cook in about 4 hours and my friend when she does it in her crockpot it takes 6 hours to get them soft)When beans are tender pour most of the liquid off the beans. Leave a little bit of liquid, then mash the beans to your desired consistency. I use and immersion blender to do this but you can use a potato masher or the back of a large spoon.


Spanish Rice
2 cups uncooked rice
1 onion, chopped
2 T. garlic, minced
2 T. olive oil
1-15 oz. can diced tomatoes (I prefer petite diced for this)
3 heaping tsp. chili powder
3 heaping tsp. chicken bouillon
1 tsp. Salt
2 1/2 cups water

Heat The oil in a large pot. Add the rice, onion, and garlic and sauté for 5 minutes. Then add all the rest of the ingredients and bring to a boil. Stir, reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 25-30 minutes. Serve with burritos or any other Mexican dish!!

Enjoy!!

4 comments:

  1. Wow this looks so yummy Sheena! Thanks for posting, I have been missing all your wonderful posts! Some of mine and Mike's faviorte meals came from your blog! In fact tonight we are haveing the garlic cream bowtie pasta! (Mike has been begging me to make it!)

    Also if you are looking for a great shredded beef recipe for tacos then you have to try this http://acountrygirlslivin.blogspot.com/2010/10/slow-cooked-shredded-beef-for-tacos.html it is super easy with only 6 ingredients and cooks in the crockpot as well!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sheena - we tried this tonight (just the chicken and the rice - I didn't have it all together to make the beans either) and it was SO good and SO easy! Thanks for sharing the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jessica- Thanks I'll have to give your shredded beef a try. :)

    Lindsay- I had this on our menu for tonight too, but plans changed and I didn't get to make it. I love how easy it is and it's really yummy, glad you liked it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Sheena! I made the beans and rice for my parents today! Everyone loved them! I switched up the recipes a little bit (like using minute rice, which made it 10 times faster!)! I am going to add them to my blog cause everyone needs to make these recipes, they were so great!!!!! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete