2/23/11

Chicken Enchilada Casserole

Last week I decided I was going to do a 2 week menu instead of only a week menu. I listed all the meals that we've tried that we like, and then I went online searching for new ideas. Since I've been pretty picky lately (thank you pregnancy), coming up with meals has gotten a little more difficult. Something will sound so good one day and then a few days later it sounds totally gross.
But one thing that has sounded good is Mexican food. I have no idea why, but I have been craving enchiladas, tacos, etc.
While I was searching the many food blogs I saw several different recipes for Chicken Enchilada Casserole. But all of them had something I didn't like or it just didn't sound too appealing to me after reading the ingredients. I finally found one that seemed to look pretty good, so I printed it out and added it to my Menu.

Then the day came that I was going to make this Chicken Enchilada Casserole. I pulled out the recipe and gave it a look, then I pulled out a family cookbook that my Grandma gave me and looked at one of her recipes (which were both really similar). I decided that both recipes looked good, but needed a little something, so I got to work and my version of Chicken Enchilada Casserole was born!


Since I changed the recipe quite a bit I was a little scared how it would come out, but it was a hit at dinner! We shared this meal with my in-laws and everyone loved it! We ate almost the entire casserole.

I think it could have used just a little salt. It tasted great, but it was missing just a little flavor, which salt was the trick. Another thing...I think next time I make this I might substitute the layer of corn tortillas with tortilla chips. The corn tortillas were good, but I would like to experiment and see the texture of tortilla chips in this casserole.
For my chicken I just boiled 3 chicken breasts in some seasoned water (garlic powder, salt, pepper, onion, and oregano). Once the chicken was done I took it out and shredded it. When I started layering the casserole I dipped the tortillas in the stock before placing them into the casserole dish.

Overall I was very pleased with my little creation and everyone was too. This is a really easy meal to put together and really yummy. If you don't want black beans try using pinto beans or just leave them out all together. But the addition of the beans and corn made it really great.

This meal is definitely going into our meal rotation, so give it a try and let me know what you think.Enjoy!!

Chicken Enchilada Casserole
From: 3 Sisters Sharing Ideas

2 Cups cooked & shredded Chicken (about 2-3 chicken breasts)
1 (10 oz.) Cream of Mushroom
1 (10 oz.) Cream of Chicken
½ C. Sour Cream
1 (8 oz.) can Diced Green Chiles
1 (10 oz.) can Ro-Tel Tomatoes
¼ C. onion, chopped
½ C. Corn
½ C. Black beans, rinsed & drained
Salt & Pepper
Cheese, grated- I used Cheddar/Jack, but Cheddar or Mexican Blend would work great also.
Corn Tortillas
Tortilla chips
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
In a large bowl combine the chicken, cream of mushroom, cream of chicken, sour cream, chiles, Ro-Tel tomatoes, onion, corn, and black beans and mix well. Season with salt and pepper and any other seasonings you would like (garlic salt, garlic powder, etc.).
In a greased 9 X 13 dish add a layer of tortillas. You can keep them whole or rip them in half or into bite-size pieces. Then add 1/3 of the soup/chicken mixture and top with cheese. Add another layer of tortillas, 1/3 of the soup mixture and another layer of cheese. Repeat one more time and then on top of the cheese add a layer of crushed tortilla chips.
Bake 30 minutes or until hot and bubbling. Then sprinkle some cheese on top and place it back into the oven until the cheese is melted, just a few minutes. Then take it out of the oven and let it sit for a few minutes.

Enjoy!!

**If you don’t want to use corn tortillas you can always use flour tortillas instead or use crushed tortilla chips.

No comments:

Post a Comment