12/15/10

Day 2: Buckeyes

For Day 2 of our '12 Days of Treats' I am going to share another 'Brown Eyed Baker' recipe. For all of you chocolate/peanut butter fanatics, this is right up your alley.


I think I've mentioned before that I get email updates from Brown Eyed Baker every time she posts a new recipe. But I'm not sure if it's a good thing or a bad thing, because every time I see an email from 'Brown Eyed Baker' I have to open it, and then that usually leads to 'I have to make that!'. So I go to the kitchen and make the treats and then stuff my face with all the delicious little goodies. :)
But I do have to tell you that I did share alot of my Buckeyes this time. It is the season of giving, right??? I'll let other people stuff their faces with these delicious treats. hehehe

These are perfect to make for neighbor gifts, teacher gifts, friends, etc. because it makes so many (7-8 dozen). They're a little time consuming, but whoever you share these with will appreciate it and love you forever. Well....maybe. :)

Alright, there you go. Now get in your kitchen and start making some Buckeyes.
Enjoy!!

Click here for a printable version of this recipe.


Buckeyes
from: browneyedbaker.com

1 ½ cups peanut butter
6 cups powdered sugar
1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
½ teaspoon vanilla extract
4 cups semisweet chocolate chips
¼ cup shortening

1. Line cookie sheet with wax paper. Mix together butter, peanut butter, sugar, and vanilla with a wooden spoon in a large bowl.
2. Roll dough into 1-inch balls. Set them on prepared cookie sheet and insert toothpick into each ball. Chill in freezer until hard, approximately 30 minutes.
3. Melt chocolate chips and shortening over medium-high heat. Remove the pan from heat. Dip balls in chocolate and place back on cookie sheet. Refrigerate until chocolate is set, approximately 2 hours.

Store in airtight container in refrigerator.

Some tips on making buckeyes:
• I find it best to mix all of the ingredients together in a large bowl with a wooden spoon. It will take some time to all come together and takes a lot of patience and elbow grease!
• The mixture WILL be pretty dry and crumbly, so when shaping the balls you will need to press the mixture together before rolling it into a ball.
• In order to avoid the toothpick holes at the top of the peanut butter balls, an alternative would be using something like a dipper for coloring eggs to lower the balls into the chocolate.

• This recipe yields 7-8 dozen buckeyes.



1 comment: