10/26/10

Pepperoni Pizza

A few weeks ago, as I was standing in the check-out line at the grocery store, my eyes saw this delicious looking pizza on the cover of a magazine. I couldn't help myself, I picked up the magazine and turned to the recipe. I decided I'd better buy the magazine. It turned out to be worth the $2.79 I spent. :)


I also want to introduce you to a wonderful product that I always use for my pizza sauce. My sister, Shannon introduced me to Shirley J products last year. I only have 2 products, but the ones that I have I love.
This is the easiest marinara sauce that you will ever make. You just add 1 Tbsp. to one 8 oz. can of Tomato Sauce, mix and you've got marinara sauce. Super easy, right?
Interested in some Shriley J products take a look at their website: Shirley J


Alright, now onto the pizza. The recipe asked for Mozzarella cheese, but I used a mixture of Muenster and Mozzarella cheese. My sister, Shannon once told me that some well known pizza places use Muenster cheese on their pizzas, so that is what I use now.


Photo Courtesy of Familycircle.com
The pizza turned out great, it passed my husband and son's taste test. :) I really liked the texture of the crust. It had a nice crispy crust (not crispy like over-done crispy...good crispy).
Next time I make this I might season the crust a little and then when it comes out of the oven I will butter the crust with a nice garlic-parmesan butter.
So there you go, a new pizza recipe for you to try. Surprise your family tonight with some warm yummy pepperoni pizza. And if you do try this let me know what you think or if you have a better pizza recipe. :)

Sicilian-style Pepperoni Pizza
from October 2010 Family Circle Magazine

Basic Pizza Dough
Makes: 8 servings

1 C. Warm water (about 110 degrees)
1 Pkg (.25 oz) dry active yeast
2 3/4 C. All-purpose flour
1 tsp. sugar
1 tsp. salt
2 Tbsp. Olive Oil

Place water in small bowl and stir in yeast. Let stand for 5 minutes.
In a large bowl, whisk together 2 1/2 Cups of the flour, sugar, and salt. Make well in the center and add the yeast mixture and olive oil. Stir until dough comes together and forms a ball. Turn out onto a well-floured surface and knead for 5 minutes, adding as much of the remaining 1/4 c. flour as needed (I used my kitchen-aid to mix and knead). Form into a disk and place in a bowl that has been lightly coated with olive oil. Turn disk over and cover bowl with plastic wrap. Allow to rise in a warm place for 2 hours.
Remove dough form bowl and punch down. Roll out into desired diameter.

Marinara Sauce
Makes: 2 Cups

2 Tbsp. Olive oil
4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 can (28 oz.) tomatoes, crushed by hand (I'm sure you could just use a can of crushed tomatoes)
1 tsp. Sugar
1/2 tsp. dried Oregano
1/2 tsp. dried Basil
1/2 tsp. Salt

In a medium saucepan, heat oil over medium heat. Add garlic and cook 1 minute, stirring so the garlic doesn't burn. Stir in the tomatoes, sugar, oregano, basil, and salt. Bring to a boil. Cook with a lid ajar, for 30 minutes over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally.

Sicilian-style Pepperoni Pizza
Makes: 12 slices

2 pounds pizza dough, at room temperature, or use Basic Pizza Dough recipe given above
1 C. Marinara Sauce
1/2 tsp. dried Oregano
2 C. shredded Mozzarella Cheese (I didn't measure, I just used as much cheese as I wanted :). And I did Muenster and Mozzarella.)
2 oz. sliced pepperoni (about 1/3 C.)

Heat oven to 500 degrees. Coat a 15 X 10 X 1 in. baking pan with nonstick cooking spray.
On a lightly floured surface, roll dough onto a 15 X 10 X 1 in rectangle. Gently roll up onto a lightly floured rolling pin and unroll onto prepared pan. Push dough into corners.
Spread sauce evenly over dough to within 1/2 of edge. Sprinkle oregano over sauce. Scatter cheese over top. Place pepperoni slices over the cheese. Bake at 500 degrees for 18-20 minutes or until nicely browned on bottom. Remove from oven. (We also added cheese on top of the pepperoni.)
Cool slightly and cut into 12 slices; serve and Enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment