10/14/10

Lasagna Roll-Ups

While we lived in Hawaii I found this recipe and made it. We really liked it, but I haven't made it ever since. I do that quite a bit, find a recipe that is great and never make it again. :)
While planning our meals for the week I decided it was time to make them again.


I'm really glad that I finally got around to making this again because it was really good. Maybe it was so good because I was really hungry tonight, but all I know is it really hit the spot. :)

Just some notes:
We like to make our lasagna with cottage cheese, so that is what we use (the original recipe did say cottage cheese), but you can replace it with Ricotta if that's what you prefer.
If you want a quicker dinner...use jarred spaghetti sauce instead of making your own. But seriously this sauce wasn't hard to make at all. The thing that took the longest was the noodles.
Speaking of cooking the noodles...another shortcut, if you can find the raw lasagna noodles you could use those, then you don't have to cook the noodles before hand. I looked for those, but our grocery store didn't have them. Sad, huh? (They'll be in the refrigerated section of your grocery store.)


So there you go a new take on Lasagna. Put it on your menu for next week and Enjoy!!


Lasagna Roll-ups
from allrecipes.com with a few of my additions & changes

1/2 lb. Ground Beef
1/4 C. Chopped Onion
1 Garlic Clove, minced
1 (16 oz.) can Crushed Tomatoes
1/2 tsp. Salt
1/2 tsp. Dried Oregano
1/2 tsp. dried Parsley or 1/2 tbsp. fresh parsley, chopped
1/2 tsp. Italian Seasoning
1 Bay leaf
1/4 tsp. Sugar (this helps neutralize the acidity of the tomatoes and will bring out the flavor)
Dash of Cayenne pepper
1 1/4 C. Small-curd cottage cheese, drained
1/4 C. grated Parmesan Cheese
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 Tbsp. minced fresh parsley or 1 tsp. dried parsley
1/4 tsp. onion powder
Dash of salt
6 Lasagna noodles (make sure they aren't cracked or broken)
1/2 C. shredded Mozzarella Cheese

Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil and cook your lasagna noodles.
While your noodles are cooking, in a skillet, cook the beef, onion and garlic until the meat is no longer pink (I seasoned my meat with a little salt, pepper, and Ms. Dash); drain. Add the tomatoes, salt, oregano, parsley, Italian seasoning, bay leaf, sugar, and cayenne (I also added a little pepper to the sauce). Let simmer for 10-15 minutes (I let my sauce simmer while the noodles cooked.)
Spoon some of your sauce into the bottom of a greased 9-in. baking dish.
Combine the cottage cheese, Parmesan (I also added a little mozzarella as well), egg, parsley, onion powder and a dash of salt. Spread 1/4 C onto each noodle and carefully roll it up (the reason I underlined 'spread' is because I just noticed it said that, I didn't spread my mixture onto the noodle. I just spooned some onto the noodle and rolled it up. oops)  Place the roll-up seam side down into your baking dish. Top your roll-ups with the remaining meat sauce and sprinkle with Mozzarella cheese. Cover and bake at 375 degrees for 30-35 minutes or until heated through. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
Enjoy!!

**I think I would spread a little bit of the cottage cheese mixture onto the whole noodle and add a glob at the end and roll it up. Even though I didn't spread mine all over the noodle it was still really good.

1 comment:

  1. I seen a recipe close to these in one of my cookbooks and have been wanting to try them! Maybe I will make them for lunch for me and the kids next week! (Mike doesn't like Lasagna, ugh!)

    ReplyDelete