8/3/10

Nice Buns!!!

Sorry...I had to use that I my post title. :) Yesterday we had hamburgers, hot dogs, and chicken burgers. I had some hamburger buns, but they were looking pretty sad. I remembered seeing a recipe for Hamburger buns, so I got on the computer and searched.
I am so glad that I did, because these were great!!

I don't know what it is about homemade bread, but isn't it wonderful? These buns were really easy to put together, and it was nice because I had everything in my pantry (no special trip to the store). Well, the only thing I didn't have was sesame seeds, but those are optional.
We cut each bun and then grilled them for a little bit to give them a little crispiness. Mmmmm....soo yummy!
 
There was a suggestion to add garlic or onion salt to the dough. I'll probably try that next time and see how that tastes.
Well, it's definitely hamburger season so next time you are having burgers please make these buns! You won't be dissappointed, I promise.

Hamburger Buns
from Rosa's Yummy Yums

1 Cup Water, lukewarm
2 tbsp. Unsalted butter, room temp.
1 Egg
3 1/4 Cups Plain White Flour
1/4 Cup Sugar
1 tsp. Salt
1 tbsp. Instant yeast

1 Egg Yolk + 1 tsp. Water
Sesame Seeds

Sprinkle the yeast into the water and leave for 5-10 minutes, until frothy. Stir to dissolve.
In a big bowl, combine all the ingredients and mix well.
Turn the dough out onto a floured working surface and knead for about 10 minutes  until you've made a soft, smooth dough. (Or be lazy like me and use your kitchenaid) :)
Place the dough in a clean and lightly greased bowl. Cover witha  towel and let rise for about 1 to 1 1/2 hours, until doubled in size.
Divide the dough into 8 pieces and shape each piece into a flattened ball. (I weighed each piece of dough, they were about 4 1/2 oz. each). Place the buns onto a greased baking sheet, cover with a towel and let rise another 30-40 minutes, until they're quite puffy and doubled in size.
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
Glaze the buns with the egg yolk and water mixture, then sprinkle with sesame seeds. Bake the buns for 12-15 minutes, until they are golden brown. (I probably took mine out a little too early, we were in a hurry. Next time I'll cook them for 15 minutes).
Remove them from the oven and cool them on a wire rack.

2 comments:

  1. These look yummy Sheena! I will have to give them a try!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just made these last night! They turned out beautiful and taste great! I will be making them again and again!!!

    ReplyDelete