5/26/10

Spaghetti and Meatballs

Alright...you may be thinking Spaghetti is a recipe to make when you have nothing else to fix. So, you get your jar of Spaghetti sauce and your noodles and ta-da Spaghetti dinner. Oh, but you are so wrong. Spaghetti can be so much more than just a jar of sauce and noodles.
I remember the first time I went with my Mom to Olive Garden and I ordered Spaghetti and Meatballs. They brought out my plate and on top of the spaghetti were these huge meatballs...so good!  I love a good meatball, but I have never tried making them. I usually just buy them from Costco (which btw are very very good). But I came across this recipe and had to try it.
I found this recipe on Our Family Treat (another Must Look At Blog!). A cute blog that a husband (Brooks) and wife (Lindsay) share. Brooks actually spent time in Italy, so when I read that, I knew that they definitely knew how to make a good Spaghetti and Meatballs.


mmmmmm......doesn't that look yummy?
I love meatballs with flavor and these definitely had them. They also had a little kick to them too, which my hubby appreciated. Now, I know this is more work than just opening up a jar, but it is so worth it. And honestly, it wasn't that bad at all. I made up a batch of meatballs and cooked them, and the ones I didn't use I put in the freezer to use later. And homemade sauce is so much better than the jar.
So, if you're looking for a good Spaghetti and Meatballs recipe give this one a try. I promise your tummy and family will be happy!


Spaghetti and Meatballs

From http://cucinafamiglia.blogspot.com

1 lb Italian Sausage
1 lb ground beef
1 egg
1 cup bread crumbs
1 tablespoon dried basil
1 tablespoon dried oregano
1 tablespoon garlic powder
1 tablespoon onion powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon pepper
1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper

Mix all ingredients in a large bowl, until completely incorporated (use your hands, but don't smash meat between fingers).
In a pan preheat 2 tablespoons of Olive Oil on medium high heat. Roll the meat mixture into golf ball sized balls and brown in Olive Oil until all sides are brown. Remove from heat and strain on paper towel.

For the Sauce:
To the oil and meat drippings add 1 clove minced garlic and one half of an onion chopped. Cook until onion is translucent. Make sure to not burn the garlic. Add two cans of crushed tomatoes, and 1 can of tomato sauce. Bring to a boil, and put meatballs back in the sauce. Reduce heat and let simmer for 10-15 minutes.
(I added some fresh parsley and Italian Seasoning to the sauce. I think I may have also added a bay leaf).
While simmering, follow directions on your spaghetti pasta box, and serve with sauce and meatballs, top with Parmesan cheese.

*hint* For perfect al dente pasta, remove pasta from water 1 minute shy of what instructions on pasta box gives. Add pasta to the hot marinara sauce and let stand for another minute before serving, so the sauce finishes cooking the pasta.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for featuring our recipe! I am glad you like our blog!

    ReplyDelete