5/9/10

Sourdough Pancakes: Basque Recipe

I am so excited to share this recipe with all of you. These are probably one of my favorite pancake recipes. This recipe comes from my wonderful Mother-in-law, Kathy, who is Basque. I had never heard of the Basque people until I met Josh. This recipe has been passed down from generation to generation and is a recipe that you will want to try! So, get up and start mixing this up.

  
 I love when the family comes to visit because Kathy always makes Sourdough Pancakes. We made these over Easter weekend.


I'm sorry, but you can't tell me these don't look delicious. Most pancakes are really heavy, but these are light and fluffy...but that means I can eat more of these without getting full. I can't resist them though. 


Kathy always makes a huge breakfast whenever we have Sourdoughs...Eggs, hashbrowns, sausage links, and Chorizo (the basque kind). I think I know what we're having for breakfast tomorrow.
Enjoy!!

Amama's Sourdough Pancakes
from: Kathy Perron

The Night Before:
     Mix 2 cups of warm water with 2 1/2 tsp. of yeast. Add 2 tbsp. of sugar and 1/2 tsp. of salt. Add 2 Cups of flour. The mixture should be thick. Cover with waxed paper and let sit overnight.

The Next Morning:
     Add enough milk to make the mixture thin. Add 2 egg yolks (keeping the egg whites). Beat the 2 egg whites until stiff. Add to the mixture. Add 1 tsp of baking soda and mix well.
     Pour pancake batter onto a hot griddle. Cook until bubbles appear then flip. Cook until light brown. Serve with butter and syrup. Enjoy!!

3 comments:

  1. Oops...sorry. I forgot to write that. Thanks for noticing, that would have been a mess.
    -The night before you add your warm water, yeast, sugar, salt. Then you add 2 Cups of Flour. I'll change that on the post. Thanks again.
    Sheena

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Sheena! I am making these beauty's for breakfast tomarrow! That means I have to start them tonight, but I had a question. When you say to let them sit over night do they need to be refridgerated or just left out on the counter?

    ReplyDelete