5/25/10

Matt's Yummy Tomato Lime Rice & Chicken Azteca

ckLast year Josh's cousin, Matt, stayed with us for a few months. So, one day he told my Mother-in-law and I that he wanted to cook for everyone. We were a little hesitant...wondering if he really knew how to cook, hahaha, but he showed us! He made us Pork Carnitas and this delicious rice. Thank you Matt for showing us you do know how to cook and for sharing this wonderful recipe with us.

This rice is great to serve with any Mexican Meal like: enchiladas, tacos, fajitas, or the recipe that I'm also going to share with you today.


I love this rice because it is seriously sooo easy and really really flavorful and tasty. There's only 4 ingredients for this rice, so there's really no excuse not to make it. You have your rice, water, Caldo de Tomate (Tomato Bouillon), and limes. How easy is that? 
So, next time you make Mexican you will definitely have to try Matt's Yummy Tomato Lime Rice. Enjoy!!

Matt's Yummy Tomato Lime Rice
from Matt Perron

1 C. Long Grain White Rice
2 Cups of water
2 tsp. of Tomato Bouillon
1 Lime; quartered

In a medium pot combine the water and Tomato bouillon, bring to a boil. Stir in your rice. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
Remove from heat. Add your limes and let stand covered for 5 more minutes or until water is absorbed. Fluff with a fork. Serve.
Makes 4 servings.
If you would like to increase your recipe here is the ratio for Water to Bouillon- 1 Cup Water: 1tsp Tomato Bouillon. 
I just made this and only used 1 lime, but you can use as much or as little as you like. Enjoy!!

Chicken Azteca
Alright, now for the second recipe.
I love new recipes, and am always on the search for new and tasty dishes. So, when I found Erica's website( Favorite Family Recipes) I was in Heaven. There were so many delicious looking meals, that I was going to have to try. That day I printed out so many of her recipes, and I've been slowly trying them all. (BTW- there Cafe Rio Copycat recipes are to die for!!). One day while searching their site, I came across this recipe. It looked really good, so I decided to try it.


I know...you're probably thinking what is that??? But please don't be scared by my picture. It looks like a bunch of slop, but it's oh so good! Plus this is a Crock pot meal. I love Crock pot meals, they're so easy!

Now this picture looks much better, right? Just serve over rice, top with cheese and there's your meal. You could also top with tomatoes, avacados, olives, green onions, cilantro, etc. So put this on your menu and give it a try. I promise it won't disappoint! Enjoy!

Chicken Azteca
from http://www.favfamilyrecipes.com/
Makes 10-12 Servings
2 (15 oz) cans black beans, rinsed and drained
4 cups frozen corn
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 tsp. ground cumin
1/2 tsp. onion powder
2 cups Pace salsa, divided (we used the black bean and corn salsa)
Tabasco sauce (or any other hot sauce), to taste.. (**optional.. this isn't part of the original recipe but we added it for an added kick)
10 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
2 (8 oz) pkgs. cream cheese, cubed
cooked rice (I made a Spanish rice of sorts by adding a little tomato sauce, cumin, onion, and garlic powder to the rice while cooking. I didn't spice it up a lot... I didn't want it to overpower the flavor of the chicken)
shredded cheddar cheese

Combine beans, corn, garlic, cumin and 1/2 of the salsa in slow cooker. Arrange chicken breasts over top. Pour remaining salsa (and optional hot sauce) over top of chicken. Cover. Cook on high 2-3 hours or on low 4-6 hours. Remove chicken and cut into bite size pieces. Return to crockpot. Stir in cream cheese. Cook on high until it melts. Spoon chicken and sauce over cooked rice. Top with cheese.

2 comments:

  1. Seriously Sheena you are amazing! Josh is one lucky man! Now with all these awesome recipes I am going to have to make I will definitely need to come to Zumba =) Which, by the way, I can't do this week because Jay is out of town. But I will DEF be there next week to shake my booty...haha! Thanks for all the yummy recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Kristin...but I'm so sad that you're not coming to Zumba, I was ready to shake my booty with you! haha

    ReplyDelete