5/19/10

Chicken Stuffed Shells

Here is another pasta dish for you. This is yet another recipe that I have had saved on my computer for awhile waiting to try, but never got around to it. So a few weeks ago I finally made it! It was delicious. And the next day Shawnna came over to our house and I had left over shell stuffing, so I gave it to her and she made it that night for dinner (she also said it was really good). This is a must try recipe that won't disappoint.

I made 2 changes to this recipe. The original recipe asks for Ricotta cheese, I used Cottage Cheese. I hate cottage cheese, but in pasta recipes I like it better than Ricotta. I like the texture better, either one will work though. The second thing, I used fresh parsley instead of dried. Those are the only things I changed.

Just a heads up...The recipe makes more filling than you need. I may have been able to use a 9x13 baking dish, but I had already cooked the shells, so I just kept the left over filling. When/if you make this either cut down on the filling or cook more shells.
For this recipe you will also be making your own pasta sauce. It's a pink sauce...really good. But if you don't feel like making the sauce just use a jar spaghetti sauce or an alfredo sauce. There is also a Vodka Sauce that you can buy at the store that would be really good. I used to make a pasta using Vodka Sauce, it's a pink sauce, and it's really good.
Doesn't that look yummy??
Then get up and get cookin'! Enjoy!!

Chicken Stuffed Shells
From Chelsea at www.mmmcafe.blogspot.com

For the Shells:
12 jumbo uncooked pasta shells
1 heaping tsp. garlic cloves (minced)
1 chicken breasts (cooked and shredded)
1 (15 oz) container ricotta cheese (I used Cottage Cheese)
1/8 cup Italian breadcrumbs
¾ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon pepper
¾ teaspoons dried parsley
½ tsp. oregano
½ tsp. basil
1/8 cup heavy cream
¼ cup parmesan cheese
1 cup mozzarella cheese

For the Sauce:
2 heaping tsp. minced garlic
4 oz tomato sauce
4 oz tomato paste
7 oz stewed or diced tomatoes
2 tsp. dried oregano
½ Tbs. dried basil
1 tsp. sugar
½ tsp. black pepper
½ tsp. cornstarch
¼ cup heavy cream
¼ cup milk

Cook pasta shells according to package directions. Rinse with cold water, separate and set aside.

Combine garlic, chicken, ricotta cheese, bread crumbs, cream, salt, pepper, parsley, oregano, basil, parmesan, and half of the mozzarella.
For the sauce: put tomatoes in a food processor until smooth. Combine all ingredients in a separate bowl and add tomatoes to create a pink pasta sauce.(you may substitute this sauce with red or white sauce, if you prefer.)
Pour half of the pasta sauce into the bottom of a large baking dish. Stuff shells 1 by 1 with the chicken/cheese mixture and place in rows into the baking dish on top of the sauce. Top the shells with shredded mozzarella and pour the over half of the sauce over the top of shells. Bake in the oven at 375 degrees for 20 minutes.

Serves 3.

No comments:

Post a Comment