5/29/10

The Best Whole Wheat Bread Ever

**Updated 4/16/11**
I have been searching for years for a good wheat bread recipe that passes my husband's taste test! I have tried so many recipes--I have lost count! Last fall, my mother gave me a bread recipe that she had found and liked. I tried and it and was pleasantly surprised. This bread is light and fluffy and not heavy or crumbly like many. It stores well and is great for sandwiches, toast, or eaten with honey.
Since mid-January, I have not purchased store bought bread--I have been making this bread recipe twice a week. It may sound like a lot of work but over time I have gotten faster and have learned a few tricks.
I hope you will give this recipe a try. You may not be able to go back to store bought bread.

The original recipe was for one loaf of bread. I found that the one loaf rose quite high so I always double the recipe and then divide it so that it makes 3 loaves not 2.  So the recipe below will make 3 loaves.
Recipe with my tips and tricks included:
Best Whole Wheat Bread Recipe
2 1/2 cups warm water
1-2 Tbsp yeast*
1-2 Tbsp vinegar*
1/2 cup honey (can use sugar but I only use honey)
5 1/2 cups whole wheat flour (approx 4 cups of wheat)
1/2 cup wheat gluten
2 tsp salt
4 Tbsp powdered milk
2 Tbsp olive oil
1/2 - 1 cup potato flakes

I have a bosch mixer and that is all I use to make bread. It makes bread making so much easier.

1. Grind your wheat. I have found that in my grinder 4 cups of wheat will make the 5 1/2 cups of flour that the recipe calls for. I like to use half white wheat and half red hard wheat so I grind 2 cups of white wheat and 2 cups of red wheat. 

2. Place warm water in your mixer. [The temperature of your water is very important. If it is too hot it will kill the yeast but if it is too cool the yeast wont rise properly. Someone once taught me how to get your water the right temperature when making bread. I dont even worry with thermometers anymore. Turn your tap on and let the warm water run over the inside of your wrist. The water should feel neither too warm or too cool but it almost feels as if there is nothing there. It is hard to explain but it works everytime.]
3. Add yeast and vinegar. *Use 1 Tbsp of each if at high altitude and 2 Tbsp of each if at lower altitude.

4. Add honey. Stir together.

5. My mixer has a splash ring so I usually place that on the mixer at this point. I then turn the mixer on to the lowest setting and add the flour by cupfuls while the mixer is running.

6.Add wheat gluten and mix. I usually leave the mixer on and add the gluten and the following ingredients while it is mixing.
7. Add salt and mix.
8. Add powdered milk and mix.
9. Add oil and mix.
10. Add potato flakes. 
11. Knead for approx 12 minutes. I usually place the lid on the mixer and let it knead (mix) for about 12 minutes. The dough may be very sticky-don't add more flour. The stickier the dough the lighter the bread.
12. Once the 12 minutes is up, I turn the mixer off and let the dough sit in the mixer for half an hour or until doubled. Be sure to leave the lid on. If you do not have a mixer with a lid, you will need to cover the dough with a towel or plastic wrap that has been sprayed with non-stick cooking spray while it rises. Allow to rise in a warm place that is free from drafts.

13. Once the dough has doubled in size, divide the dough into 3 pieces. Shape and place in greased bread pans. Cover. Rise in a warm place until doubled. [The original recipe was for 1 loaf. I doubled the recipe which is the amounts shown; however, the doubled recipe produced rather large loaves. I then tried dividing the doubled amount into 3 loaves instead of 2 and the loaves were the perfect size for my family. If you would like to try just 2 loaves or 1/2 the ingredients and make just one loaf that is fine.]

14. Bake at 375 degrees for 20-30 minutes or until the top is browned and the loaf sounds hollow when tapped.
15. Once done, remove bread from the oven and immediately (or within 2-3 minutes) remove the bread from the pan and place in plastic food/bread bags. This is important--you will see moisture form inside the bag, but don't worry, the bread will not be soggy. Within 24 hours, the bread absorbs the moisture back into the loaf and you will be left with a light, fluffy loaf of bread.



Recipe without my tips and tricks:
Best Whole Wheat Bread Recipe
2 1/2 cups warm water
1-2 Tbsp yeast*
1-2 Tbsp vinegar*
1/2 cup honey (can use sugar but I only use honey)
5 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1/2 cup wheat gluten
2 tsp salt
4 Tbsp powdered milk
2 Tbsp olive oil
1/2 - 1 cup potato flakes

  • Place warm water in your mixer.
  • Add yeast and vinegar.
  • Add honey. Stir together.
  • Add the flour and mix.
  • Add the remaining ingredients in order listed; mixing well after each addition
  • Knead for approx 12-15 minutes.
  • Cover the dough & let rise in warm place until doubled.
  • Once doubled, divide the dough into 3 pieces. Shape and place in greased bread pans. Cover and let rise until doubled in a warm place.
  • Bake at 375 degrees for 20-30 minutes or until the top is browned and the loaf sounds hollow when tapped.
  • Remove bread from the oven and immediately (or within 2-3 minutes) remove the bread from the pan and place in plastic food/bread bags.
*Use 1 Tbsp if at high altitude and 2 Tbsp if at lower altitude.

Original recipe by Crystal Godfrey.

1 comment:

  1. While I was in Utah, Shannon made this bread. It was sooo yummy. I'll definitely be making this soon!

    ReplyDelete