4/27/10

Pineapple Pork Stir-Fry

I found this recipe in the May issue of Taste of Home Magazine. I have a favorite stir-fry recipe but this one sounded good so I decided to try it. While it was cooking my husband and our children came into the kitchen asking "what smells so good." It tasted just as good as it smelled!
I made a few changes to the recipe--I didn't have pork tenderloin on hand so I made it with chicken. I also didn't have fresh broccoli so I used frozen broccoli.
There was a bit of a strong soy sauce taste so next time I am going to reduce the amount of soy sauce and increase the pineapple juice.

1 can (8 oz) unsweetened pineapple chunks, undrained
3 Tbsp cornstarch, divided
1 Tbsp plus 1/2 cup cold water, divided
3/4 tsp garlic powder
1 pork tenderloin (1 lb) cut into strips
1/2 cup soy sauce
3 Tbsp brown sugar
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
2 Tbsp canola oil, divided
4 cups fresh broccoli florets
1 cup fresh baby carrots, cut in half lengthwise
1 small onion, cut into wedges
Hot cooked rice

Drain pineapple, reserving 1/4 cup juice; set aside. In a small bowl, combine 2 Tbsp cornstarch, 1 Tbsp water, garlic powder, and 1 Tbsp reserved pineapple juice. Pour into a large resealable bag; add pork. Seal bag and turn to coat.

In a small bowl, combine the soy sauce, brown sugar, ginger, cayenne, and remaining water, cornstarch and reserved pineapple juice until smooth; set aside.

In a large skillet or wok over medium-high heat, stir fry pork in 1 Tbsp oil until no longer pink; remove and keep warm.

Stir fry broccoli, carrots and onion in remaining oil until tender. Stir cornstarch mixture and add to the pan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir 2 minutes or until thickened. Add pork and pineapple; heat through. Serve with rice.

No comments:

Post a Comment