4/12/11

Strawberry Shortcake Dessert

Update: I know I just posted this as a Friday Food Find, but I told you I was craving this cake. :) So, I decided to make it and wanted to share a few changes that I made. The original recipe is for a sugar-free dessert, but most of the time I don't have sugar-free Jell-o or applesauce just laying around. So, I usually don't make it like the orignal recipe.
I also decided to make cupcakes instead of an actual cake this time. I loved the results!

Here is what I did:
Mix up a white cake mix as directed. Then bake and let the cupcakes cool for about 15 minutes. While they're cooling boil one cup of water. Then add a small (8 oz.) box of Strawberry Jell-O to your boiling water and stir until dissolved.
Now it's time to poke holes into your cupcakes. Using a straw poke several holes into each of your cupcakes.
Transfer your cupcakes onto a cookie sheet, then spoon 2 tsp. of Jell-o liquid onto each cupcake.
Here's a little trick that I did. Do you have any medicine droppers lying around? We do, our pharmacy gives us a new dropper every time we get a prescription. So, I just measured 1 tsp. into the dropper and squirted it onto the cupcake, then did that again to make 2 tsp. So much easier than a spoon.

After I squirted each cupcake with Jell-O I added some sliced strawberries (fresh) on top of each cupcake. I topped each one with 2 slices, and then stuck them in the fridge to cool for 2 hours.

The nice thing about cupcakes is you can keep them in the fridge (covered with saran-wrap) unfrosted until you want to snack on one. When you are craving one of these yummy little cupcakes just get one (or two...or three, I won't judge you) out of the fridge and frost it. Then Enjoy!!

With the cake I felt like we had to hurry and eat it before it went bad, but since mine aren't frosted I have a little extra time to enjoy these babies!!
So give the cupcake version a try, I promise you'll be glad you did. :)

Strawberry Shortcake Poke Cake
I'm sorry that I've been such a slacker lately, but I have some new recipes to share with you. So, for the rest of the week, I am going to try to post a new recipe each day. And I promise they won't disappoint.
For my first recipe, I am going to share a simple, yet delicious dessert. I found this in a Taste of Home magazine a few years ago. The original recipe is made with all low/no sugar ingredients. I have tried both the low sugar version and the not so low in sugar version. Both are super yummy. The only thing I didn't like about the no sugar version, after eating the cake I got a weird after-taste from the artificial sweetener.

The first time I ever made this was in Hawaii for a baby shower. For this, I used just regular sugar added ingredients. I had never tried it, but it looked so good, that I decided to take a risk and make it for the shower. It didn't fail me, everyone loved it!

I still remembered that delicious moist cake that I had made so long ago, but hadn't made it ever since. Why?? I have no idea!! But, I actually just made this a few weeks ago for my In-laws. They invited us and some friends over for dinner, and I said that I'd bring the dessert. Their friend can't eat alot of sugar, so this was perfect. Finally, I was going to get to try this cake again (This time the sugar-free version). It was a HUGE hit! Everyone loved it, and our friends even asked for the recipe.

Just look at this...don't you just want to go into the kitchen and make some right now? I know I do. Believe me, this is a recipe that is a must try!! Enjoy!

Strawberry Shortcake Dessert (Poke Cake)

1 Pkg. (18 ¼ oz.) White cake mix
1 1/3 C. Water
1/4 C. Unsweetened applesauce
2 egg whites
1 egg
1 pkg. (.6 oz.) sugar free strawberry gelatin
2 c. Boiling water
1 pkg. (16 oz.) Frozen unsweetened while strawberries, thawed, drained & sliced (I have even used fresh strawberries for this step)
1 carton (16 oz.) Frozen whipped topping, thawed
10 fresh strawberries, halved
(If you don't want the Sugar-free cake: Just mix and bake the cake according to directions on box. Then use regular Strawberry Jell-o, and Sweetened Frozen Strawberries. I have even made the cake as directed in this recipe, and then just changed the Jell-o and frozen strawberries.)

In a large mixing bowl, combine the dry cake mix, water, applesauce, egg whites and egg; beat on low speed for 30 sec. Beat on medium for 2 minutes.
Pour into a 13-in. x 9-in. x 2-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350 degrees for 30-35 mins. Or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
In a large bowl, dissolve gelatin in the boiling water. Stir in the thawed strawberries. Using a sharp knife, make a diamond pattern in the top of your hot cake (or using the handle of a wooden spoon, poke holes all over the cake); immediately pour gelatin mixture over cake. Cool on a wire rack. Refrigerate for at least 6 hours.
Spread with whipped topping. Garnish with the fresh strawberries.

No comments:

Post a Comment