3/7/10

2 Yummy Syrup Recipes!

I have 2 syrup recipes that I have been wanting to post for some time and haven't. They are the perfect addition to Sheena's yummy hootenany.

Yummy Cinnamon Syrup
I received this recipe from Mike's aunt, Cheryl. I believe she told me that it is very similar to the recipe Magelby's Restaurant uses. !

In a large (6 qt) pan, add
2 cup sugar
1 cup butter
2 cups buttermilk (Cheryl and I use powdered milk. It can be found in the baking aisle.)

Melt sugar and butter on medium heat. Once melted, stir in buttermilk. Bring to a boil and let boil for about 1 minute. Remove from heat and add:
1 tsp baking soda
2 tsp vanilla
1 tsp cinnamon
--If using powdered buttermilk, I mix the required amount of buttermilk powder with the sugar and butter. When the recipe calls for the buttermilk, I then add the required amount of water needed for the buttermilk.--
I love this recipe but my kids aren't very fond of it--good food is lost on children sometimes--so I usually half the recipe. I store it in a jar in the refrigerator.

Homemade Maple Syrup
When we were growing up, we never had store bought syrup. Our mom made syrup from scratch most of the time. To this day, I cannot eat cold or even room temperature syrup. My syrup must be very warm and I prefer it runny, which is how homemade syrup is. I am also very picky as to which store bought syrups I will eat. Some are not good at all! I guess my mom's syrup ruined me! :) This recipe is similar to the syrup that our mother used to make. Although, I believe my mom used to use just white sugar while this recipe uses both white and brown sugars.

1 cup sugar
1 cup packed brown sugar
1 cup water
1 tsp maple flavoring

In a small saucepan, combine the sugars and water. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in maple flavoring. Store leftovers in the refrigerator. Yield: 2 cups.

No comments:

Post a Comment