11/16/09

Recipes for Food Storage Use!

I just found some info that I have had in an email that I never read!! Well if you have food storage for instance Powdered milk that is going to go bad and you have lots but don't know what to do with it!! Here are so suggestions, you can make biscuits or pancakes but this idea I had never even heard of!! Make some yogurt!! Weird huh!! Well here is how you do it:

1 3/4 cup regular dry milk (3 cups instant)
4 cups very warm water (not over 120 degrees)
1/3 cup yogurt with active cultures
Combine dry milk and water. Stir with wire whisk until disolved. Add yogurt and whisk. Pour into containers, cover and incubate in a warm spot for 6-8 hours. Do not disturb during incubation.

Vanilla Yogurt
3 3/4 quarts warm water
4 cups dry, powdered milk
1 cup melted honey
1 Tbsp. vanilla
1 cup plain yogurt
3 Tbsp. unsweetened gelatin (4 packets)

Soften gelatin in 1/4 cup cold water. Stir in some of the 3 3/4 quarts warm water to further dissolve gelatin. Stir some of the water into dry powdered milk and mix well. Add all remaining ingredients. Blend well and pour into jars for incubation. Incubate 6-8 hours. Makes almost 5 quarts.

* I haven't tried these out but thought I would pass it along.
I also found a 172 page recipe book that someone emailed me that is for Food Storage recipes. If you want a copy I can email it to you, just comment with your email address and I will send it to you.
courtesy of The Wooden Spoon Newsletter April 5,2007 Vol. 2 No. 9

1 comment:

  1. Increasing the amount of powdered milk used in a quart of water will make for a creamier yogurt!!

    ReplyDelete