11/2/09

Pie Crust

I tried Sheena's chicken pot pie over the weekend and it was pretty good and easy. For those of us who are too cheap to buy a prepared pie crust or just in case you forget to buy one and want to try the recipe, here is an easy pie crust recipe I have used for years.

Pie Crust #1
2 cups flour
1/2 tsp salt
2/3 cup shortening (I have heard that butter flavored shortening makes it very good but I have never tried it)
6-7 Tbsp cold water

Combine flour & salt. Cut shortening into flour mixture. Sprinkle 1 Tbsp water over part of the mixture; gently toss with fork. Push moistened dough to side of bowl. Repeat using 1 Tbsp water at a time,until all the dough is moistened. Divide in half. Form each half into a ball. Flatten each ball into a 12" circle.

Do you have problems picking up the circle to put in the pan? A tip I learned is to wrap one edge of the circle over the rolling pin and gently lift up the circle. I will take pictures next time I make a pie crust to show you but this method helps when the crust is trying to stick to the counter or when it is trying to break apart.
Makes 2 shells - top and bottom or 2 tops.

I also have another pie crust recipe--but I cant remember if i have tried it or not. Here it is:
4 cups flour
1 tsp salt
1 Tbsp sugar
1 3/4 cup shortening
1/2 cup cold water
1 Tbsp vinegar
1 egg

Combine flour, salt & sugar. Cut shortening into flour mixture. Combine water, vinegar and egg. Add the liquid mixture to the flour mixture. Stir lightly with a fork and then form into 5 balls. Put into a small container and refrigerate for a short while before rolling out onto a lightly floured board.
Makes 5 shells. Can be frozen as balls or after rolling out for later use.

No comments:

Post a Comment