10/9/09

French Dip Sandwiches

I think I've said this before, but I love sandwiches! I thought I would remind you. One of my favorites it the French Dip Sandwich. I don't know what it is, but I love it! So I had seen a few different recipes, but alot of them you cooked a roast and then sliced it and used that as the roast beef. A few weeks ago I wasn't sure what to make, I had a few options, but I really wasn't in the mood to cook anything. So, I decided on French Dip Sandwiches. They were delicious! And Josh LOVED them too. If Josh loved a sandwich that says alot. I just made them again this last week and changed it up a bit. I will tell you how I did it each time I made it. Let's get cooking!



These are the only pictures I have, I don't have an ingredient picture, sorry. One of my shopping trips to Albertson's I was shopping for a spice and I happend to look down on the bottom shelf and they had an Au Jus Powder on closeout (Johnny's French Dip powdered Au Jus), so I bought it, that's what I used in this recipe, but you could use any Au Jus mix.
In a large Measuring Cup or bowl make the Au Jus as directed and pour into a crockpot ( I made a quart of Au Jus). The first time I made this I added an envelope of Onion Soup Mix, a little Red Wine Vinegar (I didn't measure, umm maybe 1 tsp.) I also added a little of Worcestershire Sauce. Stir it up and then add your roast beef. Cook it on how 2-3 hours. The first time I made it I got regular roast beef, I got 1 lb. and it made about 6 sandwiches.
Get your hoagie bun, put some provolone cheese (or whatever cheese you prefer) broil it to make the cheese melty and the bread nice and toasty. Then add your roast beef. In a small bowl pour some of the Au Jus. Then sit down and dip that sandwich in!


Alright for the second version:
I did everything pretty much the same...but instead of onion soup mix I used a can of Campbell's French Onion Soup (It's by all of the soups). I also used Italian Roast beef instead of plain roast beef, I recommend the Italian Roast beef, it had alot more flavor to the meat. This time I had them slice it very thin and for some reason I got more sandwiches out of it. So I'm thinking maybe the first time the Deli Lady didn't slice it as thin. So, have them slice it very thin, not shredded though.
Josh did say he thought the first time had a little more flavor. I thought they were both very good. I think next time I will use onion soup mix, because I always have that on hand, and definitely the Italian Roast beef.

French Dip Sandwiches
serves 6-8

1- 1.5 lb. of Italian Roast Beef
Au Jus Mix
1 Envelope Onion Soup Mix or 1 can French Onion Soup Mix
1 tsp. Red Wine Vinegar (I'll measure next time I make this)
Worcestershire Sauce
Provolone Cheese or Cheese of your choice
Hoagie Buns

Mix your Au Jus and pour into a crockpot. Add the Onion soup mix, Red wine vinegar, Worcestershire sauce and stir. Add your Roast beef. Cook on High 2-3 hours.
Cut your Hoagie buns in half. place 1-2 slices of cheese and broil until cheese is melted. Place some roast beef on top of the cheese.
In a small bowl pour some Au Jus Sauce for dipping.
Enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment