10/2/09

Baked Bean Chili

I made my October menu this week & was excited to add several of my soup, stew and chili recipes. The cool weather that we are having was the perfect chance to make chili. I found this recipe years ago in Taste of Home magazine. Our tastes change from year to year and recipes come and go but this recipe has been a winter staple for the past 9 or so years. Even my children love this chili. I have tried lots of other chili recipes throughout the years but this one is by far our favorite. I hope you like it.

Ingredients:
1 lb ground beef;
2 cans (28 oz each) baked beans, I use bush's
1 envelope chili seasoning (I only use about 2/3 of the packet but you could use the whole packet if you prefer)
23 oz tomato juice (I buy the large 46 oz can of tomato juice when it is on sale. I use half for the chili and freeze the other half for the next time I make chili.)
11 1/2 oz V8 juice (My husband loves spicy V8 so we usually have it in on hand. It gives the chili an extra little kick but the regular V8 works just as well.)
This recipe is so easy to assemble; it only has 3 steps!
#1 Cook beef; drain.
#2 Stir in remaining ingredients.
#3 Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 10 mins.

The original recipe is rather large and makes about 24 servings. I have shrunk the recipe to fit our family.
Baked Bean Chili
1 lb ground beef
2 cans (28 oz each) baked beans
1 envelope chili seasoning (only add 2/3 of the packet)
23 oz tomato juice
11 1/2 oz V8 juice
Cook beef; drain. Stir in remaining ingredients. Bring to boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes. Serve with chips and cheese... & avocado and sour cream, if you like.

The original recipe which makes about 24 servings.
2 lb ground beef
3cans (28 oz each) baked beans
1 envelope chili seasoning
46 oz tomato juice
11 1/2 oz V8 juice
Cook beef; drain. Stir in remaining ingredients. Bring to boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment