9/20/09

Tomato Juice

Sorry..here is some more info that I want to 'store' on the blog so that I know where it is for future reference.
How to make and freeze tomato juice (freezer method):
Wash, sort and trim firm, vine-ripened tomatoes. Cut into quarters or eighths and put into a saucepan. Simmer 5 to 10 minutes. Press through a sieve. Pack juice into airtight freezer containers, leaving 1/2 inch headspace. Seal, label, date and freeze. Use frozen tomato juice within 8 to 12 months for best quality.
You can also easily bottle/can tomato juice. Although I can buy a big can of tomato juice for $1.47. Once I open it and use some I can freeze the remaining juice to use in future recipes.
I think I am going to freeze tomatoes from my garden and then this winter I can use them whole or diced or I can turn them into tomato juice. That gives me more options than freezing them as juice.

No comments:

Post a Comment