9/13/09

2 Month Menu

Sheena has been wanting me to post my 2 month menu. So here goes...
Here are, I believe, close to 60 recipes. Some I have tried and others I haven't. Some are posted on this blog and others arent but I am going to try to post the ones that I try that we like.
Arroz con pollo
Alfredo tortellini
Baked Ziti
BBQ chicken
BLT’s
Broccoli & Rice Casserole
Beef Potato Bake - We tried it & didn't really like.
Bean Enchilada Casserole
Beef Tips
Cheese Bacon Ranch Chicken
Chicken & Bows
Chicken Cordon Bleu
Chicken Fried Steaks
Chicken Noodle Casserole
Chicken & Rice
Chicken Nachos - We tried & we didnt really like them.
Chicken Parmesan
Chicken Penne Casserole
Country Pork Dinner
Creamy Italian Chicken
Enchiladas Verde
Easy Stuffed Shells
Fajitas
Fried Chicken w/ pan gravy -We have tried it but I need to make it again to see if we really like it or not.
Flank Steak w/ Chimichurri Sauce
Garlic Chicken Farfelle
Green Sauce Enchiladas
Hamburgers
Ham & Cheese Casserole
Honey Chicken Stir-fry
King Ranch Casserole
Super Easy Lasagna
Mandarin Chicken
Mostaccioli
Marinated Chuck Steak
Onion Baked Chicken - We tried and I need to make it again before I decide if we like it or not.
Onion Chicken Salad
Pork Burritos
Penne w/ Pink Sauce
Pizza
Roast-3 envelope
Ribs - Sheena's version & My version
Ranch Pork Chops
Shredded Beef Au Jus
Shish-Ka-Bobs
Spaghetti w/ Meatballs
Spicy Chicken Legs
Sticky Coconut Chicken
Sticky Chicky
Shepherd’s Pie
Spaghetti Casserole
Susan’s Seasoned Chicken
Stuffed Pork Chops
Turkey Tetrazzini
Tacos
Tortilla Lasagna
Wild Rice Salad
White Enchiladas
Yummy Chicken Alfredo Bake

Menu #1
This menu would work for 1 month. The calendar part is on top and a list of breakfasts, lunches, dinners & desserts or after school snacks is on the bottom. What I like about this calendar is that it offers flexibility. I dont like my menu to be set in stone because as we all know things come up. If I decide to run errands one day, I can plan an easy dinner or better yet choose a crockpot meal and have supper ready when I get home. If I end up with an easy not too busy day, that is a great day to try a new recipe that may take a bit more time to prepare. This calendar lets me do that because I can write the meals I have planned for the month on the bottom and then each week or day pick which meal(s) to prepare.

Menu #2
This is a 2-month menu. You could fill in the squares and have a complete 2 month menu.
Or you could have a list of all possible meals and then fill in the squares as you prepare each meal.


There are several ways of going about planning a long term menu.

#1-You can make 1 grocery list at the beginning of the month and do all your shopping in one trip. You will have to plan another small trip or 2 for produce, milk, eggs & weekly sale items but the bulk of your shopping is complete.

#2-You can choose 7 - 14 meals and plan out one or two weeks worth of meals. Make your grocery list and go grocery shopping. If you plan 2 weeks, you wont have to worry about shopping for 2 whole weeks. Doesnt that sound nice. This is what I did about 1 1/2 weeks ago.
Having a large menu to choose from makes the chore of making grocery lists and going grocery shopping a little less burden-some. Plus I really think I save money. We also eat healthier. If you go to the store each week, most likely you purchase some 'treats' such as fruit snacks, candy, chips, etc. Those run out rather quickly at our house but when I go to the store each week, I would purchase some each week. If I go to the store every 2 weeks, I buy the same amount of those items and they run out just as fast but when they run out we will make zucchini bread, smoothies, cookies, yogurt, popcorn, etc. These items may still have sugar but they are homemade and healthier esp if you can sneak in some whole wheat flour or zucchini or applesauce.

My Shopping List

This is the shopping list I use. I made it in Microsoft Word. It has all of the staples/food storage items that I use as well as items that are in my menu or items that I use frequently. When I prepare my grocery list, I can easily check items that I am low on or items that I will need for the next week or 2. I can also check sale items that I would like to purchase.

Sometime in October I will be posting a new 2 month menu that will include new recipes and some changes such as deletion of recipes we didnt like. I will also be adding some of my winter recipes such as soups and chilis

No comments:

Post a Comment